2012 Welcome Weekend Schedule of Events
Welcome Weekend 2012
A renewed commitment to inclusiveness
for all people at all times!
Reformation joins with other Lutheran congregations and denominations on the last Sunday in January to celebrate the importance of welcoming and accepting all in Jesus' name. In 2012, Reformation celebrates its ith year as a Reconciling in Christ Congregation. Join Pastor Bill Eiwen and our Church family as we renew our commitment to a reconciling ministry of welcome and hospitality.
Schedule of Events for January 27 – 29, 2012
All events (excluding the Lutherans Concerned meeting on Saturday night) will be held at Reformation Lutheran Church located at 1118 Union Street in Columbia.
NOTE: A registration link for the events listed below can be found at the bottom of this page. If you have questions or need additional information, please call the church office at 803-252-1507 or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Friday, January 27 - Special Film Presentation
7:00 pm: "Bullied: A Student, A School, and a Case That Made History"
- Film and Open Discussion to Support Building an Inclusive Church
- In light of the 2011 South Carolina Synod Assembly's adoption of “a resolution calling the church to speak and act to prevent bullying, harassment and related violence,” this film represents the first of two events scheduled for Welcome Weekend to help us better understand this issue and what we can do to help.
- “Bullied: A Student, A School, and a Case That Made History” (from the Southern Poverty Law Center’s “Teaching Tolerance” Program)
- Admission: Free will donation; registration is required so that we may have an accurate head count. Please see link at the bottom of this page.
- Light snacks and fellowship.
Saturday, January 28 - Educational Workshop and Training
9:00 am to 12 noon: Preaching Public Issues Workshop
- Check-in and same day registrations from 9:00 to 9:30 am.
- Led by The Rev. Dr. Barbara Lundblad from Union Theological Seminary, New York and The Rev. Dr. Shauna Hannan from Lutheran Theological Southern Seminary, Columbia, SC. This workshop is for both ordained and lay preachers.
- For congregations with a minimum of 2 members attending, these individuals may participate in the afternoon Inclusiveness Training Session at no charge.
- Registration Fee: $25 per person ($10 for students) if registered and paid by Jan. 6th. $30 after January 6th and at the door. To register and pay online, please click on the links at the bottom of this page. If you do not wish to pay online, mail your check (made payable to Reformation Lutheran Church) to the following address: Preaching Workshop, Reformation Lutheran Church, 1118 Union Street, Columbia, SC 29201. NOTE: If you are paying by mail, you still need to register online for the actual event(s) you are attending.
- Lunch: Free will donation
9:00 am to 5:00 pm: Building an Inclusive Church Training
- Led by the Institute for Welcoming Resources and Lutherans Concerned North America.
- Registration Fee: $30 per person.To register and pay online, please click on the links at the bottom of this page. If you do not wish to pay online, mail a check (made payable to Reformation Lutheran Church) to the following address: Inclusive Training, Reformation Lutheran Church, 1118 Union Street, Columbia, SC 29201. NOTE: If you are paying by mail, you still need to register online for the actual event(s) you are attending.
- For more information about this training, please click here.
- Lunch: Free will donation
6:00 to 8:00 pm: "Reviving the SC Chapter of LC/NA"
A Conversation with Lutherans Concerned North America
Executive Director, Emily Eastwood
- Lutherans Concerned/North America (NC/NA) works for the full inclusion of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered Lutherans in all aspects of the life of their Church and congregations.
- All are welcome to join us for conversation about how the LC/NA chapter in SC might be revived and what benefit that will have for SC LGBT persons and allies.
- Location: Delaney's Pub in Five Points - 741 Saluda Avenue, Columbia, SC 29205
- Registration appreciated to ensure we have an accurate count for participation.
Welcome Sunday Worship, January 29
9:00 and 11:15 am: Worship Services and Luncheon @ Reformation
- Celebration Worship with The Rev. Barbara Lundblad preaching at both services.
- 12:30 pm: Covered Dish Luncheon, RLC Fellowship Hall.
- ALL are welcome!
- To sign-up for any of the above events, CLICK HERE and you will be directed to our online registration form.
- If you are attending either of the Saturday sessions (Preaching Workshop or Inclusiveness Training) and would like to process your payment online via our secure website, please CLICK HERE.
- To register by standard mail, please provide name, address, phone number, e-mail and(session/activity and number of people attending each). If you are attending the Saturday Workshop and/or Training Session, please include your check made payable to Reformation Lutheran Church and mail to RLC, 1118 Union Street, Columbia SC 29201. To register by phone, call 1-803-252-1507.
Affirmation of Welcome
Reformation, a congregation of Christ's Church, welcomes everyone to join with us in a journey of faith. We are committed to providing worship, programs, ministries and pastoral care to all, regardless of religious background, age, color, ability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, economic status, or national origin. Everyone is welcome in this place, where the love of God is the foundation of all that we say and do!